Friday, May 1, 2020

Nos. 23 - 35

Oregon's stay-home order means lots and lots of books! I've been listening to tons of audio books while working out and doing chores.

No. 23 - Policing the Black Man by Angela J. Davis:

This collection of essays was an important read - very educational.

No. 24 - Swift Vengeance by T. Jefferson Parker:

No. 25 - The Dime by Kathleen Kent:
A lesbian police detective! Representation matters!

No. 26 - Bossy Pants by Tina Fey:
So funny!

No. 27 - Something That May Shock and Discredit You by Daniel Mallory Ortberg:
Ortberg is a trans man and also the son of an evangelical pastor. This was a great read (listen)!

No. 28 - What is the Bible? by Rob Bell:
This was on my to-read list for a while. I loved it. It gave context for some common Bible stories - so educational. I highly recommend for Christ followers who are upset with the current state of "Christianity". I'll be reading more Bell! 

No. 29 - Beloved by Toni Morrison:

I had a hard time following this one while I was doing chores. But I appreciated the classic.

No. 30 - Twisted Prey by John Sandford:


No. 31 - Don't Read the Comments by Eric Smith:
A good POC young-adult fiction - video games and relationship drama :)

No. 32 - How to Be Here by Rob Bell:

No. 33 - The Only Black Girls in Town by Brandy Colbert:
Knowing I had a huge autobiography next in my cue, I chose this YA book for something lighter :)

No. 34 - Paper Money by Ken Follett:


No. 35 - Tough Love by Susan Rice:
This was a good autobiography of the UN Ambassador and National Security Advisor, among other things. She's a fascinating woman!

The story got into the weeds a bit with her retelling of specific events of her tenure, but for political junkies, it would be super fascinating. I most enjoyed her tales of working with Obama. I laughed out loud (because otherwise you cry) when she told of the Obama Administration's handling of the Ebola crisis. OMG. Also - these people do really, really important things... and comparing to the jackass currently in the White House is terrifying.

This was worth the 25 hours of listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment