Monday, October 29, 2007

Turkey Feast 2007

This weekend was Turkey Feast 2007 - one of the best weekends of the whole year! It started after we bought our house as a way for me to use my love of cooking and entertaining to express my love for my friends. It's evolved a bit over the past seven years, growing huge and going from me doing all the cooking to others sharing in the fun. As friends have moved away and drifted away, new friends have been added to the mix as space allows. We're so glad that original Turkey Feasters Darrin, Matt, Cristie and David were able to join us again this year!

The preparations started months ahead, picking the weekend, hand making invitations, planning the menu, assigning dishes to others, making a seating chart, moving out furniture and procuring tables, chairs, China, flatware, turkey roasters, etc. from the family. Friday, I hit WinCo and Fred Meyer early to load up on all the groceries I needed.

I baked, cooked, cleaned and decorated all day Friday, setting one giant table for 25. Eryn arrived Saturday morning to help with the rest of the details, including roasting two turkeys for our hungry guests.

At 5 p.m., the doorbell rang as our friends began to arrive. Soon, we were eating, talkingl, laughing and enjoying our feast.


Our group is also evolving as youngsters are joining. This year, we had a 4-year-old, a 2-year-old, a 1-year-old and a 2-month-old. Baby Abram Steven Dunlop was also nearby - in his mommy's tummy. He was born the next afternoon! (On a side note, Noah Rathkey was born just two days, I think, after his parents attended Turkey Feast 2005 - Eryn and I are wondering how we can market this eat-our-turkey-and-have-your-baby service!)


Between contractions, Irene and Brandon had a whose-belly-is-bigger contest :)
Now I should stop procrastinating and get back to cleaning up from the fun!

P.S.--Be sure to take our poll on the right sidebar. : )

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! This looks and sounds like a labor of love. What fun to glimpse your fun event. Fun story of the history of Turkey Feast. Takes me back to my cooking days.

    ReplyDelete