Thursday, July 10, 2008

Spicy Black Beans & Rice

This isn't a new recipe for me, but I served it at Garden Party last night and the recipe was requested. (From my trusty Better Homes & Gardens cookbook)

-------------------------
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups hot cooked brown or long grain rice
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or Mexican cheese blend


In a medium saucepan cook the 1/2 cup onion and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown. Carefully stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, salsa, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

To serve, mound rice on serving plates; make a well in each mound. Spoon the black bean mixture into wells. If desired, sprinkle with shredded cheese.

----------------------------------

I was cooking for a crowd, so I quadrupled the recipe. I used two cans black beans and two cans pinto but I've also used kidney in the past. I served it over bulgur wheat instead of rice.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment