Sunday, June 14, 2020

Looking for book recommendations?

A couple years ago, I began intentionally seeking books by black, brown, and queer authors to learn about experiences that differ from my own.

Where do I begin? I looked for lists and recommendations from friends and from the Internet. (Thanks, Korie!) I'm constantly perusing lists and adding books to my audio book wish list. (I read audio books from the public library)

I was going through a new list yesterday and realized I've already read most of them! 

If YOU are looking for recommendations, here are some I've already read - some fiction and some non-fiction. No reviews, just a list:

All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely:

Ta-Nehisi Coates's Between the World and Me:

Phoebe Robinson's You can't Touch my Hair:

Joshua Davis's Spare Parts:


They Can't Kill Us All by Wesley Lowery:

Gary Younge's Another Day in the Death of America:

Monique W. Morris's Pushout:

Angie Thomas's The Hate U Give:

So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo:
 



Real American by Julie Lythcott-Haims:





All You Can Ever Know by Nicole Chung:
If They Come for Us by Fatimah Asghar:

My Life, My Love, My Legacy by Coretta Scott King:

Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay:
 
Heads of the Colored People by Nafissa Thompson-Spires:

Americanized: Rebel without a Green Card, by Sara Saedi:

Dear Martin by Nic Stone:

On the Come Up by Angie Thomas:

Internment by Samira Ahmed:

Black Klansman by Ron Stallworth:

The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline:

Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga:
 
Michelle Obama's Becoming:
 
Blended by Sharon M. Draper:

Brittney Cooper's Eloquent Rage:

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woods:  

Naturally Tan by Tan France:

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie:


Where the Dead Sit Talking by Brandon Hobson:


Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson:

Heartland by Sarah Smarsh:

The Pretty One by Keah Brown:

Policing the Black Man by Angela J. Davis:

Beloved by Toni Morrison:

Don't Read the Comments by Eric Smith:

The Only Black Girls in Town by Brandy Colbert:

Tough Love by Susan Rice:

Malala by Malala Yousafzai:

American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson:

Black Water Rising by Attica Locke:

White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo:

I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness, by Austin Channing Brown:  
I'm still reading! Gotta keep listening and learning 💗

No comments:

Post a Comment