Friday, March 14, 2008

Wow. Talk about divine intervention

I never created a writing/Web design portfolio for myself for a couple reasons: I never really thought I'd leave KOIN, it was a solo operation for so long that I thought it was silly to save my work when it was all my work, the lack of resources forced me to be a bit less than proud of my work at times, and, through a series of issues, our archive was lost several times and my writing was destroyed.

But I was at a throw-away interview last week when they asked for some samples. I ran home, went through KOIN.com and pulled some links to e-mail back. I created a list of headlines and links and was going to call it good when Brad suggested that I don't know when the KOIN site will change, so I should copy the text, too. So I painstakingly went through the links and pulled the actual stories and accompanying photos. I also made a couple screengrabs of some sections that I designed and made notes on what I'd done.

Well, I just now learned that the new KOIN owners have relaunched the Web site. The new site is hosted by a different company, and the archive apparently DID NOT transfer. Meaning: If I had not saved my work at the end of last week, it would be gone forever.

I'm sad that my legacy is gone. There's nothing left on the site from my nine years at the station. BUT, I'm extremely thankful that I was prompted to sit down and pull some of my work before it was too late. Thank you, God!

-Liz :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love hearing this story instead of the might-have-been one you almost could have written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME TOO! I'm still in shock a little over it :)

    ReplyDelete