Saturday, April 5, 2008

Run of the sickies

Today was the Tilikum 10K/5K run to raise money for camp scholarships. Last year, we tackled the longer run. That was my plan again... until I got sick. I've had a horrible head cold for more than a week. It threw off my training, and I knew I wouldn't be ready (even if my illness was to disappear before Race Day). Eryn also has the creepy crud, and our mom was feeling a scratchy throat. Still, we decided to give it a try.

Eryn and I planned to try our best at the 5K run. Mom stuck with the 5K walk. It was a chilly, gray morning at Champoeg State Park.
Tim and Laura opted for the walk (Laura took third place!!!!!)
Aaron (the only real runner in the group) ran the 10K while Irene and Abram walked.
I started strong, struggling only to dodge a kid on a bike who was going the same speed as me but weaving around the little path. I felt good as I neared the turnaround point but wondered why more people weren't already passing me. I kept running and running and finally reached the sign (again dodging that kid on the bike!). A couple minutes later, I started to feel a little yucky. I debated with myself, finally coming to the conclusion that I should walk a bit. After 4 minutes, I decided to pick up the speed and finish it out. I was just under 37 minutes.
Eryn mentioned that she thought the turnaround was in a different spot than last year. YES! I was thinking the same thing. Others around us confirmed. Apparently, last year's course was a bit short. HOWEVER, they seemed to have overcompensated and made it a bit too long this year. So considering my sickness/walking and the long course, I'm pretty happy with my time.

Eryn won free bowling in the raffle and mom took us to lunch at Elmer's. A good day :)

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment