Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Muffin Wednesday: Apricot Oatmeal

Mom-in-law Donna gave me this cool book for Christmas. It seemed like a challenge to me, so I decided to (hopefully) make muffins every Wednesday. Last week I tried "Traditional Cranberry Muffins" and liked them a lot.

1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 egg
1 c milk
1/3 c melted butter or margarine
1 c fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and drained (I chopped these)
1/2 c chopped nuts

Preheat to 375

12-cup muffin tin, greased


1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.


2. In second bowl, whisk together egg, milk and butter. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moist and blended. Fold in cranberries and nuts.


3. Spoon batter into prepared tin, dividing evenly. Bake 20-25 minutes.


This week, I tried the Apricot Oatmeal Muffin recipe.
They went together easily and looked and smelled scrumptious. I thought they tasted good, but not amazing. The texture was dense, not fluffy. If I make this again, I'll chopped the apricots finer.

3/4 c boiling water

1 c quick-cook oats

1/2 c chopped dried apricots
1/2 c butter or margarine
1 egg
1 c milk
2 1/2 c flour

1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt


Preheat to 400

Muffin tin, greased or paper lined


1. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over oats, apricots and margarine. Stir until margarine melts. Set aside to cool. Add egg and milk.


2. In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add oat mixture, stirring just until blended and moistened. Do not overmix.


3. Spoon batter into prepared tin, filling cups to the top. Bake for about 20 minutes.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment