Monday, September 30, 2013

Ministry Happens: handbell choir

I was asked to write a little thing for this week's YourNFC, our church newsletter. Topic: handbell choir.
If you're interested, here's what I wrote: (also online)


I've always been involved in music, from childhood church cantatas to high school marching band and choir to college concert band. As a child, I played handbells at my church in Tigard. We were a rag-tag group, playing here and there for special occasions and such. When I discovered that I could earn college credit by ringing at George Fox, I jumped at the chance.

After graduation, we were eating lunch at NFC with Mauri and Sherry Macy when someone mentioned needing ringers for the bell choir. BINGO! I found my spot.

Fast forward 15 years (!) and I am still happily ringing with the NFC Handbell Choir.

Sometimes the drive from Tigard is tiresome, especially the 7 a.m. Sunday call times. But these are my peeps, and I love my bell friends.

We gather each Monday evening (during the school year) to rehearse, laugh, eat, pray. We share our happy moments and our hard moments. Our ages and life experiences vary, but we're a tight group that cares deeply for one another.

Wanting to share the fun, I've recruited my sister and mother, along with several Tigard High students throughout the years. Mom calls me an evangelist, always wanting to get everyone involved with my favorite things! (Anyone want to join us?? We're always looking for ringers!)

I enjoy the musical outlet, something that's harder to come by as an adult. I enjoy the challenge and chance to grow as a musician. I enjoy brightening peoples' days and enhancing their worship experience through our playing. I enjoy the friendships I have with people I might not have otherwise met. I enjoy inviting my family and friends to come listen to the bells play. I enjoy sharing an older, traditional music style with my church family. I enjoy harassing our director when he hand writes music we can't read.

Christmas Eve is my favorite. We prepare for weeks and weeks, hoping to perfect a long list of songs both fun and reverent. On that one evening, we have three chances to share our musical gift and offering with others celebrating Christ's birth. Between each service, when we're not helping lead the larger group, we celebrate with each other with our private musician Christmas party. It's a special night.

I hope listening to our bells brings you as much joy as we get in preparing music for you!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment