Monday, January 23, 2017

This is what democracy looks like

"The time for empty talk is over."

Trump said that Friday in his inaugural speech, and I can't agree more.

I will not sit by and watch my country crumble under this man's rule. I will put action to my words and do whatever I can to stop his disgusting bigotry, sexism, racism, homophobia, etc., etc., from spreading to our American people and into our American law.

During Friday's inauguration, I sat in meditation and prayer at a vigil hosted by West Hills Friends. The space was calming and life-giving, and I'm so glad I chose that as my first action in the new presidency.




I LOVE this message from West Hills:
After, I worked out some nervous energy with a 10-mile run on my treadmill. Sweat and endorphins are magic.
With a peaceful, recharged heart, I put on my rain gear and drove downtown to protest.

I stood in a packed Pioneer Courthouse Square with others outraged over Trump and what he stands for. We listened to powerful speeches calling for action to protect the vulnerable, those who cannot stand up for themselves. I am proud to stand for them.
Soon, it was time to take to the streets. For hours, thousands of us peacefully marched through downtown, displaying our outrage. It was a truly awesome experience.


Brad couldn't get away from work for the day-time rally, but he surprised me later in the evening by finding me in the crowd and joining the march. I loved marching next to him! I also marched briefly with friends Rick and Mike - a true honor!
It was not a permitted march, and police were there to block access to bridges and certain routes. There were a few clashes between protesters and police, but it was mostly peaceful.
Our car (red hood above) was briefly trapped by one of the clashes, but the crowd and the police eventually moved on, and we were able to escape :)

Day One.

I will not be complacent. It's time to fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment