Friday, April 1, 2022

Rock Weekend at Horsethief Butte - 3/27/22

It's BCEP season, and Brad's assisting his climbing buddy, James, with his class. 

The Mazamas Basic Climbing Education Program is an eight-week program that includes classroom (online right now), breakout, and field sessions, as well as conditioning hikes. 

"You will learn and practice the basic technical skills needed to climb alpine peaks as a climb team member," according to the Web site.

Brad has assisted James in the past, and I was fortunate to tag along on some of the hikes in 2010, 2011, and 2016. Not wanting to stay home while Brad played in the woods, I joined the crew earlier this month on their King's Mountain Junior hike.

This past weekend was the team's turn to rock climb at Horsethief Butte on the Washington side of the river across from The Dalles. My plan was to camp overnight Saturday with the crew and then spend Sunday exploring the area on my own.

We all shared potluck dinner Saturday at Maryhill State Park and then a fitful night of sleep due to warm temps, group campground noise, and incessant train and truck traffic. 

James's assistants left early Sunday to set up the climbing and rappelling stations and I stayed back to make sure the students made it to Horsethief. We carpooled to the parking lot and all walked in together.

While James and the assistants finished the setup, students donned their climbing harnesses and helmets and eagerly anticipated their day on the rock. I snapped a before picture - what a good-looking bunch!

The balsam root is starting to emerge, and this giant bumble was very happy!
Students getting started on the chimney station:
Look at that view:
The Dalles across the river:
I hung out for a bit as everything got under way. Then I realized I was having such a good time that I didn't want to leave! The weather was perfect. The view was amazing. The company was wonderful. (And my legs were tired from hiking the day before) So I just decided to stay.
I tried to stay out of the way and also cheer for the students, who were doing very well at all the stations!

Joshua rappelling:
It was fun to see Brad in this teaching situation. He's very good at this!

Julia belaying from above:

I stole this pic from Dan, who's also assisting James this year. It was great to see him!
Halfway through the day, our students moved to another section of the butte, where another BCEP team was set up with similar climbing and rappelling stations. Their students rotated to our stations.
Lindsay killin' it at their rappel:

As things slowed in the afternoon, Brad and James got to get on the rock themselves:

My phone battery was nearly empty, so I didn't get many pics later in the day.

I'm so proud of the students! For some, this was their first time on real rock. And at least one was quite uncomfortable. But each worked hard and got all their skills checked off. And I think everyone had a good day together - I know I did ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment