Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Jamblers

Straight out of college and armed with a degree in communications/video production, I was hired as a "news trainee" at KOIN-TV. All my experience was with production - editing, videography, etc., and I thought that's what I would be doing in the basement of the KOIN Tower in downtown Portland.

But on my first day as an eager but also terrified 21-year-old, I was told to write a script - for the evening news! I'd taken one script-writing class and certainly wasn't ready to actually write news scripts - for the anchors to read on the air! A producer named Gene helped me, and I faked my way through the shift.

That night, I went home in tears. This wasn't what I signed up for. I had no idea what I was doing. 

My family talked me down off the proverbial ledge, and I honored my commitment and returned to work. 

Throughout the year-long news trainee program, Gene became my mentor and taught me so much about news producing! His passion - and writing style - rubbed off on me, and armed with new writing and producing skills, I ended up having a very successful nine-year television and Internet news career! I credit (and blame!) Gene for that incredibly wild time in my life :)

We've both since retired from the TV news life, but music keeps us connected.

Almost every Christmas Eve, I look out at the Newberg Friends congregation and see Gene and his wife smiling at me, candles in hand, listening to my handbell choir. After the service, I run over and give him a big hug. I deeply love that tradition.

Gene's had in a couple bands, and he always lets me know when a gig comes up. If I'm around, I try to swing by and catch the act. Last Friday, Mom, Brad and I braved the wind and rainstorm and had an evening out at Blast Burger in Lake Oswego.
As always, the music was terrific! I thoroughly enjoy The Jamblers's bluegrassy sound.  
The meat connoisseurs in the group said the burgers were excellent! I also loved my mushroom burger and the fries I stole off Mom's plate :)

I'm so glad that a relationship that started so randomly has turned into an almost-20-year friendship. TWENTY YEARS?! I didn't realize that until I just typed it. WHOA. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment