Monday, September 17, 2018

Capital FC Half Marathon (6/3/18)

In June, I ran the Capital FC Half Marathon in east Salem.

I didn't know anything about the race, but the price was good and proceeds went to a good cause - youth futbol. I needed something to train for, and I wanted to do something around my birthday. Mom and Eryn went with me - Eryn spectating and Mom running the 5K.

The course had a really big hill, and the temp was hot that day. Also, the day before was a rough one for me emotionally, and I was drained. I went out too fast and faded fast when I hit the hill. It was bigger than I expected and really kicked my butt!
Part way up the hill, I went full #SportsBraSquad and ripped off my tank top! It felt so much better!

I saw Eryn in the hilly area, and that was a good boost. Then I walked a chunk of the middle - even calling Brad to complain :) He gave me a pep talk, and I finished it out.

Mom finished, and she and Eryn met me a few miles from the end. I look better than I felt:
Finally, I ran across the field and crossed the finish line, happy to be done. Finishing on grass is hard!
The medal is stained glass! It looks so neat in person!
A lady was doing yoga behind us :)
The crew:
This jerk said something rude to me on the big hill. I don't remember what, exactly, but it pissed me off. Usually, fellow runners are very supportive of each other. He clearly thought he was very important. Yuck.
Anyway... jerky guy and bad day aside, I'm still glad I tackled this course and this small race. It was well marked, well organized, and well supported. I would recommend it for sure :)

My slowness on the hill and my walking in the middle earned me a 2:15:39 - a 10:21 average. That was 71/105 overall,  9/12 in my division, and 34/61 among females. I usually finish in the top third, so this was definitely not my day.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment