Monday, June 3, 2019

Must covers

In the TV news biz, the decision makers sit down at least twice a day to choose what stories will be covered and to assign reporters accordingly. Each person at the table is expected to pitch ideas and contribute to the day's choices.

In addition to story ideas suggested around the table, there are "must covers" - things that will get a place in the day's newscasts regardless. Obvious must covers include the Trail Blazers during their NBA playoff run, a court appearance for a suspect in a widely known crime, or the follow up to a missing-person story.

I remember each spring, one of our daily must covers was the choosing of the Rose Festival Court. 

Some must covers are incredibly compelling, and others are more obligatory. Either way, they are important to the day's lineup.

I had a realization this weekend about must covers in my own life. 

I've been in a true state of exhaustion for the past 16 months. Besides dealing with my own grief and feelings surrounding my dad's death, I've been helping to manage the moving, prepping, selling, and renting of my mom and sister's homes. It involves shared Google Sheets, assignments, check ins, and many, many hours of labor.

Add to that a heavy workload at work (graduation is THIS WEEK!), union duties (currently negotiating contract), helping friends in crisis, and other important life "stuff", and my calendar is packed.

So my realization? I've been kicking butt at taking care of the musts. The other stuff? Not so much.

I'm nothing if not organized and disciplined. Those are my big personality strengths. So when I have a calendar full of appointments and obligations, I'm going to get them done. Period.
But in those rare moments of unscheduled time? I got nothing. There's no energy left for the non-musts.

My sister's and mother's gardens are perfectly weeded and looking amazing! Mine? Haven't even touched them this year. Why? They have a deadline and I don't. Truly, the only time I have thoroughly cleaned my house in the past 16 months was when company was coming over. Without that deadline? Nope.

Exercise is very important to me physically and mentally. And one of the things getting me through is my scheduled kickboxing classes each week. They're on the calendar, so they will happen. I've also signed up for several races to make sure I "have" to do my runs.

Extras just aren't happening. Like this blog. It's not a must, so even though I want to write, it's fallen away.

I don't for a minute think I'm unique in this feeling of triaging each day (or moment). But this was a big moment of understanding for myself for where I am right now.

I knew I had some extra, unscheduled time this past weekend. I asked Brad to help prompt me to get out and work in my yard. I knew I would enjoy it, but I also knew I might not be able to get out on my own. He did prompt me, and I had a wonderful time digging in the dirt and bringing some beauty to my own garden.

This week's calendar is about as packed as it can be. Fortunately, my summer break coming, and Mom and Eryn's housing situations are slowly wrapping up. I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, and it's glorious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment