Saturday, January 2, 2021

Holiday Half (12/12/20)

Virtual races didn't float my boat this year. I didn't feel like spending money to run - by myself - around my own neighborhood. Personally, medals don't motivate my running.

I got an email from The Giant Race, which I've run twice in San Francisco. I briefly contemplated whether that would be worth it - the swag was pretty great, and it's a special race for me and my family. But then I clicked on the "register" button and saw the half marathon was around $150!!!!!!!! Um.... I can buy a really nice SF Giants buff from a lot less than that. The big draw of The Giant Race is you run along the bay and then finish on the field where the Giants play. THAT'S worth $150 - not a virtual race.

I digress...

I got the emails about the annual Foot Traffic Holiday Half and decided it was the one 2020 race I would pay for. The swag was excellent, it supported a local running company, and it was only $40. They always do a great job, and I assumed the virtual race would be no different.

The half marathon gave me some outside motivation to train through the fall. I did each training run with purpose and finished each long run with a fast mile.

Packet pickup was quick, easy, and safe with a whole week's worth of days available.  

The race window was Dec. 13-27, but because Sunday Dec. 13 was supposed to be really yucky weather, I cheated and did my race the day before.

It was cold and dark when I hit the road at 6:45 a.m. - but it was like this when I finished 2 hours later:
Perfect!

I pushed a bit harder than in my training runs but definitely wasn't aiming for a PR. I did manage to drop the pace for my final mile. 

Also, I was participating in a holiday walk/run scavenger hunt for work, and the only item left on my list was a photo of a decorated public statue or monument. In previous years, someone had climbed a metal spire in a Tualatin park and placed a Santa hat on top. So I changed my entire route to run past that statue. No Santa hat. 

Then I ran around the Tualatin Commons... no decorations on any of the statues.

Then I ran around the Nyberg shopping center... no decorations on any of the statues. 

It would have definitely been worth it had I finished my list, but instead, I wasted time and energy running around Tualatin. Bummer.

But I'm happy with my 2:12:32 finish - a 10:04 average. Half marathon No. 36 in the books!


I got cleaned up and had to wear my medal and race shirt around the house:

It was a bit early for burgers when I finished, but later I refueled with a Beyond Burger, fries, and a Dr Pepper. SO good!

Look at the swag! So cute!

Hopefully we'll get to do some in-person races in 2021 - but only if it's safe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment