Monday, March 7, 2022

A week of rest

When I envisioned my week off, I hoped to hike and spend time outdoors. As it neared, the forecast called for lots and lots of rain. I love rain, but I was disappointed conditions wouldn't be great for outdoor adventures. 

However, the rain provided a forced rest that I think I really needed.

I haven't completed any big home projects, and I spent minimal time doing "chores." Most of my week has been reading and binging Netflix (Clickbait and Pieces of Her). Gizmo again proved to be an amazing sabbatical buddy:
A rain break was predicted for Thursday, so I decided to do my weekly hill repeats at Angel's Rest.

It was an excellent run and outing - smiles the whole time:
Winter provides views unseen in the summer:
The plan was to drive the short distance to Lindsey's house in Vancouver, refuel with a hot chocolate while waiting for her workday to end, then grab a quick shower and enjoy Georgian takeout from Dediko. Well, traffic had other plans, and I spent the next 2 hours in near gridlock. Fortunately, Lindsey is way more chill than me and didn't mind the tardiness and change in plans. She ordered us a bunch of dishes to try, and we still ate really yummy food when I finally got there. (I was supposed to buy for her birthday month, so the next one's on me!!!!!!)

I was so glad to have an audiobook to keep me company in the car! Thanks, Phoebe Robinson, for the laughs 😂

Friday was another restful day trying not to feel guilty about not being productive. WOW. We are really, really conditioned to not allow ourselves rest. We're supposed to be going and doing and producing all the time. I think this week of rest was very valuable for me - and I plan to do it again next year when I'm allowed another five days of leave without pay.

Saturday was a long run in Portland with Kate. She is the perfect running partner, and it was a wonderful 10.5 miles.

I stole these beautiful pics from her:
Two badass ladies who easily knocked out double digits while our partners slept! 😂

Hot chocolate milk from Primo Espresso on my way home:

Sunday was an outing to Newell Creek Canyon Nature Park, another brand-new Metro park:
We ran all the pedestrian trails (some trails are bike only) for a total of 4 miles.
Then a stop at Oswego Creamery on the way home for some black licorice ice cream. Dad would be proud 😇


As my tiny, mini sabbatical comes to an end, I'm so thankful for this time of rest. And now this is my Monday mantra:
😂😂😂

I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment