Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Teen treats

Last week I tried a brand-new recipe on my CE2 kids: Peanutty Buckeye Bars from BHG.com. I brought all the ingredients to school and made them right there in our kitchen. I was nervous to try a new recipe without even getting to taste it first (it's not like I could decide it was bad and not give them any after they watched me make it!). But I had nothing to worry about -- they lined up in the kitchen to eat them as fast as I could cut them. So this one's a keeper:

Ingredients

  • 1 19.5-ounce package brownie mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup cooking oil
  • 1 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine brownie mix, eggs, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Stir in peanuts. Remove half of the brownie mixture and set aside. Spread the remaining brownie mixture evenly into prepared pan.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter until smooth. Spread evenly over brownie mixture in pan. Separate the remaining brownie mixture into pieces, flatten them with your fingers, and place them on top of the brownie mixture in pan.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is set and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 32 bars.

4. To Store: Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

I made a double batch and didn't have to worry about how to store them ;)

-Liz

2 comments:

  1. Heavens, with ingredients like that, I can't imagine you'd ever go wrong! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - you really can't go wrong with those ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete