Friday, February 26, 2010

Thick, chewy granola bars

I drive right past Lindsey's work on the way to my work, so I had to bring her a special birthday treat today.... so I had to make these Thick, Chewy Granola Bars from the Smitten Kitchen Web site.

  • 1 2/3 c quick rolled oats
  • 1/2 to 3/4 c granulated sugar (I went for 3/4 - I wanted more sweetness)
  • 1/3 c oat flour (or 1/3 cup oats, processed until finely ground in a food processor or blender)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t ground cinnamon
  • 2 to 3 c dried fruits and nuts (I used 3ish)
  • 1/3 c peanut butter or another nut butter - optional (I used peanut butter)
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 6 T melted butter or other oil (I used butter)
  • 1/4 c honey, maple syrup or corn syrup (I used farm-fresh honey)
  • 2 T light corn syrup
  • 1 T water

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8″ x 8″ x 2″ pan in one direction with parchment paper, allowing it to go up the opposing sides. (**this is the first time I've done this - I felt very official!!) Lightly grease the parchment paper and the exposed pan, or coat with a non-stick spray.

Stir together all the dry ingredients, including the fruit and nuts. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, melted butter or oil, liquid sweeteners and water. Toss the wet ingredients with the dry (and peanut butter) until the mixture is evenly crumbly. Spread in the prepared pan, pressing firmly.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until they’re brown around the edges.

Cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack. Cut into squares. To store, wrap the bars individually in plastic or stack them in an airtight container. Smitten Kitchen says they freeze well.

Fruit/nut suggestions from Smitten Kitchen: dried cranberries, apricots, pecans, sunflower seeds, coconut, walnuts, sesame seeds, pepitas, dried apples, chocolate chips, wheat germ, dried cherries, pecans. I used what I had in the cupboard: cranberries, pecans, coconut, sunflower seeds and wheat germ.

These are very good - hearty and filling. But I am disappointed that the peanut butter taste didn't really come through. I'd probably up the amount of PB next time. The birthday girl liked them and my hubby liked them... so I guess they're a hit. I will make these again - especially since I usually have all the ingredients on hand.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment