Friday, April 16, 2010

Jam tart

What to make for Thursday's gathering?? How about this beautiful "Easy Jam Tart" from Smitten Kitchen? I've never made a tart, but I have a couple pans and a bunch of homemade jam in the freezer... and it claims to be easy. Let's give it a try!
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c cornmeal
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
9 T butter, at room temperature (I cheated and nuked mine a bit... so impatient)
1/2 c sugar
1 large egg, whole
1 large egg, separated
1/8 t almond extract (I left this out because I don't like almond flavor)
1 1/3 to 1 3/4 c jam or marmalade (I used berry/rhubarb that I froze last year)
2 T coarse-crystal or granulated sugar (I used raw)

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a food processor (I did this by hand), mix until smooth the butter and 1/2 c sugar. Add the egg, egg yolk (keep the egg white for later) and almond extract (again, I skipped the almond extract) and beat until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until the dough just comes together.

Transfer about one-third to a lightly floured counter and shape it into a log about 2 inches in diameter. (My log was a bit more skinny and long) Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until later.

Transfer the remaining dough to a buttered 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom or a 9-inch springform pan. (Note: I have 5 tart pans. None is 9-inch and none has a removable bottom. I should buy one. But for now, I used my springform.)

Using your hands, press the dough evenly into the bottom. If using a tart pan, press the dough up the sides to the rim of the pan and set the tart pan on a baking sheet. If using a springform pan, press the dough about 3/4-inch up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate the dough-lined pan until firm, at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread the jam or marmalade evenly over the dough. With a sharp paring knife, cut the chilled dough log into very thin discs. Arrange them slightly overlapped in concentric circles over the jam to form a top crust. Whisk the remaining egg white with a teaspoon of water until frothy. Brush evenly over the tart and then sprinkle with 2 T coarse sugar. Bake until the top crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.

This turned out really well. And it truly was easy. I put the crust together Wednesday night and threw it in the fridge. Then I finished assembling and baked it Thursday morning. It looked good and tasted great. I would definitely recommend this and make it again.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment