Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cheesy Zucchini Pizza

As all gardeners (or family members, friends or neighbors of a gardener) know, it's zucchini season... time to think of creative ways to get rid of that crazy-growing squash. I spotted this recipe on Eat, Live, Run and thought I would give it a try.
2 zucchinis
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c ricotta cheese
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
your favorite pizza dough (I had frozen dough on hand)

Preheat the oven to 450. Either dust baking sheet with cornmeal or spray with Pam.

Grate the zucchinis and press with paper towels to soak up excess liquid. Mix the zucchini with the mozzarella cheese and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.

In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and garlic. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.

Work the pizza dough to fit your pan - round, rectangular, whatever. Spread on the ricotta cheese and then top with the zucchini mixture. Add some pepper flakes - just a little if you're not into heat or a lot if you want to sweat. Bake pizza for about 12 minutes or until the crust begins to turn golden and the cheese has started to bubble. (Mine went 12 and then another 5)

~~~~~~
I thought this was a bit too hot as the pepper flakes seemed to really heat up during the baking. I would go lighter next time. I accidentally bought fat-free mozzarella, which I think harmed the flavor a bit. Otherwise, this was good - and a good way to use zucchini. Brad liked it a lot, which is a bit of a miracle. I figured I'd end up making him a grilled-cheese sandwich after he gagged over the zucchini ;)

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely try this! Of course, my family may argue that it's not pizza without meat though, so maybe I'll add chicken? Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... or maybe I'll add bacon!

    ReplyDelete