Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Muffin Wednesday: Cranberry Apple

This recipe was delivered this week to my e-mail in box and called to me. Muffin Wednesday!

  • 1/2 c whole cranberry sauce
  • 1/2 t finely shredded orange peel
  • 1 1/2 c flour
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 egg, beaten (I used duck eggs from the farm!)
  • 1/3 c milk
  • 1/3 c cooking oil
  • 1 c shredded peeled apple (I didn't peel mine, just 'cuz)

1. Preheat oven to 375. (our CE2 oven is wonky... so these cooked closer to 350)

2. Grease twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups. Set aside.

2. In a small mixing bowl, stir together cranberry sauce and orange peel. Set aside.

3. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of dry mixture.

4. In another medium mixing bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Add all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in apple.

5. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Make an indentation in the center of each with the back of a spoon. Spoon 2 teaspoons of cranberry mixture into each indentation. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from tin. Serve warm. Makes 12 muffins.~~~~~~~~

Students and staff were very pleased with today's experiment! They were moist and very tasty... a definite keeper.

The recipe was a bit more involved than I expected, but that's just because I didn't read through it carefully before I started. (Have you heard me say that before??) AND I forgot to bring apples, milk and eggs from home. Good thing we had eggs in the CE2 fridge and I could buy fruit and milk from the school cafeteria! I really need to pay better attention :)

I doubled everything except the cinnamon. And I definitely wouldn't want more cinnamon flavor than I ended up with.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment