Friday, March 12, 2010

Smith Rock (3/6/10)

Finally with a clear weekend (the weather and our calendar), Jacob, Lindsey, Brad and I headed to Central Oregon's Smith Rock State Park for some early season rock climbing. We arrived late Friday and set up camp by headlamp at the walk-in bivouac. Then we bundled up and settled in for some sleep. We woke early Saturday to ice-covered tents and amazing views from the canyon edge.

Chilly, but sunny, breakfast before heading into the canyon:
First stop, Night Flight. Brad led the 5.5 sport route and set up an anchor for us:
Lowering:
I belayed while Jacob waited anxiously for his turn:
Jacob:
Lindsey on belay:
My turn. Good thing we do safety checks:
He said he was just testing me:
Here I go:


Lindsey's turn on the rock:
Nearing the anchor, about 100 feet up:
Ready to lower:
Brad set up our second rope (thanks, Michael, for letting us borrow it!) next door on Easy Reader - 5.6. We all tried that one, too:
It was getting crowded, so we packed up and hiked around the end of the park, looking for more easy routes on the west side. We found My Little Pony (5.5), and Brad prepared to go up with Jacob on his first lead belay:
Crazy Man decided to do it in hiking boots:
Lindsey basked in the sun while awaiting her turn:
There she goes:
My hands were really cold from being in the shade, but Jacob taunted me enough to make me try it. And I did it!
What a view! A herd of deer wandered by across the way while we were hanging out.


A little slack, please!
Jacob wanted to try the crack on the left... the one full of weeds and dead shrubs:
While in the much-cooler shade, Brad taught us about hot bagging - passing off the pre-warmed belay jacket. He looked better in Jacob's than in mine:We finished up and moved toward the famous Monkey Face just was the sun was setting. The sky was clear, and we had an incredible view of ALL the mountains to the west as we hiked up Misery Ridge.
J&L:


The light was nearly gone as we made our way down the other side of Misery Ridge and back to the car. Then it was hot showers all around (definitely worth the $5/person campground fee!) before we went to refuel at Mazatlan in Redmond:


With bellies full and muscles tired, we went back to camp for some shuteye.

It was an amazing day! The weather was perfect - sunny and warm. Thanks to our early start, we got on the routes we wanted. The people around us were very nice (except one crabby guy who thought he was God's gift to rock climbing and wanted to "help" us all). The routes were all different and challenging for us beginners, but we all made it! I have definitely turned a mental corner with my climbing, and it was great. My partners were awesome, and I appreciated them helping me and supporting me (and heckling me!) along the way.

I ended the day tired but all smiles :)

4 comments:

  1. That looks like an awesome day!! Wish I were around for more of these adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like great fun! And some AWESOME pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,
    I love the way you balance your wonderful outdoor adventures with your love for good food.:-)
    Thanks for beautiful pictures.
    Marcile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said, you do some seriously scary things.

    ReplyDelete