Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Muffin Wednesday: Irish Oatmeal

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I knew I had to bake something Irish or green... how about both?! I took a detour from The Book, did an Internet search for "Irish muffins" and came up with Irish Oatmeal Muffins from Recipe Zaar. Of course, I had to add green food coloring for extra fun:
  • 2 c buttermilk
  • 1 c rolled oats
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 c dark brown sugar (I only had light)
  • 1 2/3 c whole wheat flour (I only had white)
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • 2 T vegetable oil
1. Combine the buttermilk and oats for at least 6 hours (preferably overnight). Stir well, cover and let rest in the refrigerator.

2.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease the muffin tins or use paper cups.

3. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs just until the yolks and whites are blended. Add the sugar and beat until smooth and well blended.

4. Add the buttermilk-oats mixture. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and oil. Beat until batter is well mixed.

5. Fill the prepared muffin tins 3/4 full of batter (I filled 18 cups - because that's what I have). I baked these for 10 minutes, rotated the pans and baked another 5 minutes. Cool on rack.

---------------
I think these are good. They were sweet and oaty and very moist. Gerise and Ashley liked them but didn't seem overly thrilled. The girls said the muffins were spongy - and I think that was a bit of a negative for them.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment