Monday, March 8, 2010

Brownie secrets revealed

I make really good brownies. My students literally beg for them. Coworker Andy gave me baking tools for Christmas to enable my brownie-making habit (which benefits him greatly). In fact, I baked this batch today for Andy's birthday.

Now, for the first time, I'll divulge my secrets. Ready?

I always use the Jiffy mix. But you need two boxes to make one batch.

I have this special brownie pan (7 x 11 x 1.5) that always makes them perfect. And that's my special brownie spoon. Instead of an official tablespoon, I always loosely measure the required 2 spoons of water and 4 spoons of veggie oil (in a doubled batch) with my trusty white plastic spoon.

After I mix up the batter, in goes a bunch of chocolate chips (maybe 1/3 of a bag??) to make them extra rich. And I always under cook. The box says 25-30 minutes, but with the oven set at 350 and my special brownie pan, I bake them for 20 minutes. The edges start to set, but the center is still soft.
To keep the brownies from crumbling, it's important to let them cool completely before cutting. The middle is always rich and gooey and perfect.

And now you know my secret :)

No comments:

Post a Comment