Saturday, July 17, 2010

Oat jam bars

I'd been thinking about this recipe since reading about it on Eat, Live, Run, a blog I like to follow. I needed something to contribute to the annual Fantz Family Picnic, so I threw it together really quick.
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c cold butter
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c oats
1/2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon (I used a bit less)
3/4 cup jam (I used raspberry/blackberry from my freezer stash)

Oh - I also threw in a 1/4 c of flax meal because it was sitting on my counter and sounded like a good idea :)

Mix all ingredients (except jam) and cut in butter. Press a little over half of the crumb mixture into a buttered 9×13 pan and spread jam on top. Leave a half inch edge so that the jam doesn’t run out the sides. Top with remaining crumbs and press lightly into the jam. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and cut into bars.

~~~~~~~~

These turned out pretty good, though they are more crumbly than I would like. I'm not keen on the cinnamon flavor. I left it in against my better judgment and now wish I hadn't. But I am be the only person who isn't super excited about cinnamon, so I'm sure it will be fine. I can't say that I love these, but they are good. Hopefully they will get gobbled up at the picnic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment