Monday, November 15, 2010

Fear not

Several people spoke at our weekend retreat, and something Lisa said really stuck in my head. She was talking about resisting God's promptings in her life and said:

Will you obey your fear or obey your God?

Wow. That hit me hard. I do not want to obey my fears. What a horrible way to go through life. I want to obey my God and live for him.

I just looked up some verses about fear:

Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, give I to you. Don’t let your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful. (John 14:27)

For God didn’t give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self-control. (II Timothy 1:7)

So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6)

"Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

1 comment:

  1. This phrase stuck in my head too. Lisa's whole talk was challenging. Thanks for posting the verses.

    ReplyDelete