Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Muffin Wednesday: Lemon Poppyseed

Nick requested lemon poppy seed for this week's experiment, so I flipped through the book and found one to try.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin tin.

1 c lemonade
1/2 t lemon zest
1/4 c poppy seeds
1/4 c butter
1/4 c sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
2 c flour
1 T baking powder
1 t salt

Glaze:
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 t sugar

1. In a saucepan, heat lemonade over medium-high heat. When it's just about to boil, remove from heat, add lemon zest and poppy seeds and set aside to cool.

2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and mix thoroughly.

3. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to flour mixture and mix well. Add lemonade mixture and stir to moisten through.

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning once.

5. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine lemon juice and sugar. Heat, stirring constantly, just until sugar completely dissolves. While muffins are still in the pan, prick the tops with a cake tester or metal skewer. Drizzle with glaze.

~~~~~~~~~~~

As usual, I doubled this recipe to feed the masses of CE2 and got 24 muffins. It went together quickly and easily but was less than exciting. The book was unclear on the glaze, so I ended up just dipping the tops in the pan instead of drizzling. I think I needed to leave them in the pans before adding the glaze.

I am not a big fan of poppy seed muffins. I tried one hot from the oven and wasn't too impressed. I didn't think it tasted like much, especially considering how much lemon, lemonade and lemon zest was in there. The students and staff thought they were OK but didn't really dig them. Donna said they weren't as sweet as she was expecting.

The muffins weren't a total flop, but I don't think I'd suggest this recipe.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment