Thursday, June 27, 2013

Vancouver USA Marathon (6/16/13)


For months and months and months, I trained for my first marathon. When the big day finally arrived in late April, I had a bad run. It just wasn't my day.

Most of my disappointment was because I didn't perform to my ability. I was capable of so much more. I was also so sad because the experience just wasn't fun.

Over the next couple days, I started thinking of ways to redeem myself. I decided on the Vancouver USA Marathon a few weeks away.
Brad and I kept the plan to ourselves to remove outside pressure. I did a couple long runs and a half marathon. My prep was totally different from the first time - I kept it very casual and low-pressure. I didn't even feel like I was going to puke every time I thought about it :)

We worked on a new race plan to keep me from burning out too early: start a lot slower, walk up the big hills and enjoy the experience of running a marathon.

When Race Day arrived June 16, I thought I was totally crazy. But I held it loosely, repeating the mantra: "I'm just going out for a long run" (alternating with "This is crazy!")

We filled in my family just a week before because I wanted my personal cheer squad on the course with me!
The weather was good - cloudy(!) and not too warm. The field was small. Let's do this!
The full marathon started 2 hours before the half. The first 14 miles were an out-and-back route past Vancouver Lake and out to Frenchman's Bar. Aside from the beginning section getting out of downtown and over the railroad tracks, it was FLAT.

While my Eugene plan was to start between 10-10:30, my Vancouver plan was to start 10:30-11. I quickly fell in behind the 4:45 pacer and hit my stride.

My one complaint (seriously, this was a great race!) was that we started on the sidewalk headed out of town. It was too crowded at the start and included some weaving around light posts, planters and curb cuts. If the race gets any bigger, they really need to close the west/northbound lane.
After a couple miles, the crowd dispersed, and I had my own personal pacer. Melissa was terrific! Because I was running so much slower than I'm used to, we easily chatted away the miles.
Brad was on his bike and played paparazzo, snapping tons of photos along the first half of the race.
Mom, Dad and Eryn were also out there, cheering us along the way. We laughed every time they all jumped out the car, ran to the side of the road and rang their cowbells.
A HUGE thanks to Melissa for 14 miles of excellent pacing! I know it made a big difference in my race - physically and mentally.
I had already decided to walk up the train overpass, so I lost my personal pacer at that point.

The full course then merged with the half course, and the crowds increased. So did the rolling hills. But I was still feeling good, so that was OK. I started passing the walkers and really slow halfers, providing a huge boost. It's much more fun to pass people than to be passed.
We went under I-5 and through Fort Vancouver. Then Brad ditched his bicycle and started running with me!
There was a big, long hill around 19-20. No shame in walking.
The course then headed down to the river. It was gorgeous - I loved it.

Brad stuck with me for about 9 miles! It was great to have him there :)

The final miles were tough, but I was able to walk through the aid stations and then keep running. I still felt relatively good.

There was one final hill climbing away from the river. Determined to finish under 5 hours, I ran up slowly, knowing it was downhill around the corner and to the finish.

With mere blocks to the finish line, I was starting to kick when a firetruck crossed the course! I had to stop for what felt like hours!!!!!! After it cleared, I ran as hard as I could. 

In Eugene, I ran near this old guy for quite a while:
Then he beat me.

He was at Vancouver, and when I was nearing the finish, I spotted him in front of me. NO WAY was he going to beat me again. I zoomed past him! :)

My parents were waiting at the finish.
26.2 miles - DONE!

Official time: 4:58:19 - that's a 13-minute PR!!!!!!!  :)

And the best part? I had FUN! THIS is what I wanted from my marathon experience.

My Numbers:
According to my trusty Garmin, I finished in 4:58:02 - an 11:23 average.
  • Mile 1: 10:52
  • Mile 2: 10:46
  • Mile 3: 10:39
  • Mile 4: 10:59
  • Mile 5: 10:49
  • Mile 6: 10:57
  • Mile 7: 10:41
  • Mile 8: 10:50
  • Mile 9: 10:44
  • Mile 10: 10:46
  • Mile 11: 11:08
  • Mile 12: 10:54
  • Mile 13: 11:27
  • Mile 14: 12:31 (hill)
  • Mile 15: 11:19
  • Mile 16: 11:23
  • Mile 17: 11:27
  • Mile 18: 11:19
  • Mile 19: 12:41 (hill)
  • Mile 20: 13:26 (hill)
  • Mile 21: 11:20
  • Mile 22: 11:17
  • Mile 23: 12:52
  • Mile 24: 12:00
  • Mile 25: 11:53
  • Mile 26: 11:30
  • Mile 26.19: 8:03
These splits look a lot different than Eugene. I started much slower, but I was able to maintain and not die in those middle miles. I'm happy to see that I negative split my last 4 miles. I still had plenty of gas in the tank. And that kick felt amazing :)

Race Review:
This was an outstanding race.

I've done some very small and some very large events, and I think this was the best supported of all. 

There were ski patrol volunteers on bicycles along the entire length of the out-and-back portion. Each water station was stocked with water, Gatorade and gels. There was no route confusion. Volunteers manned traffic at each intersection. Each mile was clearly marked. Aid station frequency increased at the end. The course was fun and beautiful.

The start/finish line was good. The slight downhill finish was so nice. (I've done uphill finishes, and they can be brutal)

The outside expo was nice, and the racers-only finish area was great. I love free food!
I would highly recommend this event. In fact, I'm contemplating doing it again next year - at least the half :)

After:
During the long walk up mile-20 hill, Brad called his parents (who live nearby) to let them know what was going on and invite them to join us for post-race refueling.

We all met up at Bellagios for pizza. YUM!
Thanks to everyone who made my race a success! This is one for my record books :)

PS - Lots more pics to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment