Thursday, October 3, 2013

Oregon Half Marathon (9/28/13)

Enticed by a really cheap registration fee and a free warm-up 10K race, we signed up months and months ago for the inaugural Oregon Half Marathon.
When a series of typhoon-fueled storms slammed our area this weekend, we were a little much less excited to run this race. Still, we are real Oregonians, so we toughed it out and got it done. And it was fabulous!

Packet pickup was Thursday afternoon at Sports Authority in Beaverton. Smooth, efficient and friendly. No complaints here.
The half started in Stub Stewart State Park in Vernonia and went down the Banks-Vernonia State Trail, ending at Banks High School. We're very familiar with the trail - we both did our first 20 milers there! (Brad, Liz) And it's all flat/downhill.

Seeing the forecast for warm but high winds and inches upon inches of rain (especially in the Coast Range), we debated outfit choices. We also sorta debated skipping the race, but we're too tough to let some rain stop us.
It was really, really difficult to get out of bed at 4 a.m. with the storm raging outside. After some pre-race prepping, we drove to Banks in the pitch black with our wipers going double speed. Because it was a point-to-point course, buses took us to the start. By the time we arrived, it was still raining hard, but at least the sun was up.
Thankfully the buses stuck around, keeping us dry for a few more minutes. Then it was time to suck it up, brave the elements and line up.

Seeing many people in tights and layers and jackets and hats and such, I got a bit nervous about my wardrobe choice. But after the initial 100-yard hill, I was warm and feeling great.

The first 1.5 miles were in the state park, from the top of the hill down, down, down to the trail entrance. Most people flew down the hill, but I held back. My goal for the day was a nice, easy, slow run. No pushing.

The first miles of the trail were heavily wooded, providing shelter from the driving wind and rain but also giving us huge drops from the trees. Some actually hurt my bare shoulders!

I kept a comfortable pace, taking in the scenery and actually enjoying the run. The trail flattened out, and since I was feeling great, I decided to pick up the pace a bit. I passed a ton of runners in the final few miles - always a confidence booster.

At one point, the trail was completely flooded, and I just stomped right through. Since my shoes were already completely waterlogged, I stopped avoiding the puddles and ran through them like a little kid - with a huge smile on my face.

Another time, I ran under a couple maples just as a gust launched dozens and dozens of "helicopters" into the sky. It was beautiful! Again - huge smile on my face.

I pushed hard-ish into the finish, where my parents were waiting (surprise!!)
Markers blowing sideways:
I was soaked to the bone but warm and so happy with my performance. 

The finish area was full of awesome food (veggie sub sandwiches!), and Brad, Mom and Dad were waiting to congratulate me. (One of the official finishing signs said "Congradulations" - oops!!)

Because it was so wet, and Brad was shivering after finishing before me and cooling down, we headed home without much fanfare.

I finished in 2:16:11, a 10:27 average (my Garmin had me running 13.03 miles). My official pace is 10:23, at the 13.1 distance!


My splits were nearly textbook perfect!
  • Mile 1: 9:53
  • Mile 2: 10:28
  • Mile 3: 11:03
  • Mile 4: 10:48
  • Mile 5: 11:08
  • Mile 6: 10:46
  • Mile 7: 10:46
  • Mile 8: 10:47
  • Mile 9: 10:35
  • Mile 10: 10:29
  • Mile 11: 10:14
  • Mile 12: 9:48
  • Mile 13: 9:09
  • Mile 13.03: 9:42





I am very happy we didn't wuss out and skip this race. It was a blast - and I feel so ready for the weekend. Bring on Portland!!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment