Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Civil War Rivalry Clash (11/3/13)

Sunday was such a fun day!

It was our annual Turkey Feast Day, and I went all out with my Thanksgiving preview, complete with a morning race and football while cooking (go Seahawks!!).

Leslie asked awhile back if I would be on her team for the Civil War Rivalry Clash, which pits Ducks against Beavers in 5K and 10K races. Not one to turn down a race invitation, especially with a costume theme, I signed up for the 10K.

The race started at the Portland Expo Center, which provided inside waiting and real potties! That would have been especially nice if the weather hadn't been spectacular.
Mom and I avoided the $8 parking fee by stashing our car down by PIR and walking the half mile to the Expo Center. Since it was dry it was no big deal. Definitely worth $8!
This was the first year for the Portland version of this race (there's one in Seattle), and it was pretty small - just a couple hundred people. But it was fun and festive, and a good way to start my day. I just wish I would have remembered my bright green racing flats. DUH!

Lovely ladies!
Mom, Leslie and Lynn did the 5K. It was really fun when I lapped Mom and Lynn in my last mile ;)

I really don't have an Oregon/Oregon State preference but I went with the group and wore a yellow shirt and green shorts. It was chilly, so I started with arm sleeves and gloves.
The 10K course was a giant, very flat square around the Heron Lakes Golf Club and Portland International Raceway. That was 5 miles, then we circled the Expo Center and ended uphill (!) in the parking lot.

I loved the flat course, but it was pretty ugly in places. And the section between Mile 2 and Mile 4 was on a "paved" path on a dike that was in really bad shape. It was almost like gravel. I had to run on a narrow strip right down the middle.

I didn't have any expectations for this race. I'm between training cycles, and I figured I would run as hard as I felt like running. I started faster than normal and couldn't hold it after 3 miles. I slowed a bit but managed a good kick, overtaking a woman I was following most of the race. :)

All done, hot and sweaty!
I grabbed some water and waited for Mom and Lynn to cross the finish line. Leslie ran/walked her 5K and was already done.
CONGRATS - way to go, Ladies!!

Strangely, there was NO food at the end of this race. It's not that they ran out - they didn't offer any. No bananas, orange wedges, bagel pieces. Nothing. I've never been to a race before that didn't have some sort of refueling. I guess we were all supposed to go buy stuff at the Expo Center restaurant.

I did get a sample of coconut water from a race sponsor. It was horrid. I couldn't even swallow it.

All in all, it was a fun morning with friends! I love racing :)
I managed to PR with my overall time of 54:23 and official pace of 8:46, but the course measured a tiny bit short on my Garmin, so my Garmin average was 8:53. Wanting a consistent measurement, I always base my PRs on my Garmin average.

Splits:
Mile 1: 8:47
Mile 2: 8:47
Mile 3: 8:50
Mile 4: 9:03

Mile 5: 9:04
Mile 6: 8:57
Mile .12: 7:34

My stats look pretty good:


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment