Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Weekend wrap

Randomness from my lovely long weekend:

Fred was my bus driver way back in the day... like 30 years ago. He drove us from Templeton Elementary School to Byrom Elementary School in Tualatin for our weekly (I think) TAG classes. He was a really nice guy. I've always felt bad because some of the students were really mean to him.
Fred lived near us, and we saw him almost every time we went to Davidson's restaurant. I was sad to learn of his death. I'll miss seeing him when we go out to eat :)

I set out after work Friday for a long run. The fall weather was perfect, and I had a great workout.
I started slow and sped up, finishing 10 miles at the bottom of the Cook Park hill and walking up for my cool down. 10.03 at a 9:36 average. Nice!
Friday night, I watched my Tigard Tigers beat the Gresham Gophers in the first round of the playoffs 57-29!
Photo: Ralph Greene
On the way to the game, I almost got hit by an SUV!

I've narrowly missed getting T-boned several times, but this time the driver came up from behind and actually swerved into the bike lane and almost side-swiped me! Scary. I watched as he continued down Durham Road, and he was having a hard time staying in his lane. Drunk, I suppose. :(

Saturday was a lazy day with some shopping and some baking. Then a family dinner Saturday night at Friendsview in Newberg.

Dad's aunt Shirley and cousin Lindy flew up for a short visit with Grandpa (Shirley was married to Grandpa's brother, Joe). They seemed to have a really good time visiting:
We all had yummy dinner at Friendsview and some fun chatting with cousins I don't see often enough.

Sista:
Cousin Amy and her sweet kiddos, Meghan, Ryan and Andrew.
Cousins Pat and Lindy (and Uncle Dave):
Kenny and Mom discussing economics:
Love this one! Grandpa looks great! Since his recent move to assisted living, he's eating three meals a day and gaining weight - looking strong.
Cousins:
Uncle Dave taking a picture with the iPad... always makes me laugh :)
Truth in advertising... (inspired by a great message from Gregg)
It's hard to visit my grandparents.

Grandma lives in the health center now, and when we saw her Saturday, she was all slumped over and wouldn't wake up. But even if she had, dementia makes communication very difficult and uncomfortable. I knew she was rapidly losing weight, but even when you expect someone to look like skin and bones, it's still shocking to actually see your grandmother like that. She's getting hospice care now.

And while Grandpa looked great, he was more confused than I usually see him. He didn't remember that he lives at Friendsview and wanted to get in the car and go home after dinner. 

But they have both lived long, full lives and are relatively content at this point. What makes me saddest is knowing the burden on my dad. Other than the Friendsview staff, Dad is Grandpa's main caregiver. And I know it's really hard for him to see his parents like this.

Still, it was great to see distant relatives... and ones who live close but whose paths don't often cross ours. I'm glad we were all together for one evening.

Sunday, we decided on second service at NFC. I can't sleep late anymore, so I got up and hit the treadmill accompanied by Jon Stewart. SO FUNNY :)
It was really a strong run, and I would have gone longer if I had time.
The rest of the weekend was mostly spent vegging out and baking. I was on a baking kick and made three batches of cookies and two kinds of bread. Then we defrosted the garage freezer so we'd have room for all the boxes of cookies!

Oh, and Monday, I made Brad come to spin class with me! I loved being able to share that with him - and watch him burn out before class was over. See, it IS hard :)

I hope your holiday weekend was also relaxing and fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment