Friday, May 5, 2017

Shamrock Run (3/19/17) - PR!!!

Way back in March, Brad and I ran our fifth Shamrock Run - on a brand-new course!

Because of Portland police cutbacks, organizers were forced to alter the course. We still ran Terwilliger, but it was backwards this year. I felt that it was just as hilly, but the race was front loaded with lots of opportunity to run fast in the second part.

Since Brad's company sponsors a team, he's been running the half the past few years (he's too cheap to pay for it himself!) I stick to the 15K since it's unique to this race and a fun distance to race.

It was coolish at the start - but DRY!!!!!!! We arrived early, parked on the east side, hit the potties and scored some free McDonald's coffee for Brad and half a hashbrowns for me. It tasted so good, but I only ate part, fearing greasy belly on the course :)
Tutu, of course!!
Soon it was time to ditch the warmups and head into the corral. I didn't study the map ahead of time, so I just followed the crowd. Speaking of, it didn't feel as crowded as in past years. That's a good thing for this giant race!

They didn't have free photo downloads this year, so no action shots :(
I didn't train specifically for this race, and I planned to just run by feel and push when it felt right. I ended up running steadily on the long initial inclines and hard on the downs. It's fun to run hard in a bright green tutu!

The sun came out, and it got hot! (for me - I'm a wuss!) What a nice change for the last few years of soaking rain.

I finished in 1:27:33, a 9:20 pace for 9.36 miles. PR!!!! My previous PR, from 2016, was 9:45 average! HOWEVER, since the course was changed, it's really hard to compare. Still, I'll take it ;)

My stats: 1521/3891 overall, 532/2081 female, 86/320 F 40-44

Not too shabby!

My splits:
  • Mile 1: 10:23
  • Mile 2: 10:10
  • Mile 3: 9:56
  • Mile 4: 10:27
  • Mile 5: 8:38
  • Mile 6: 8:40
  • Mile 7: 8:40
  • Mile 8: 9:11
  • Mile 9: 8:23
  • Mile 9.36: 7:45 







I wrapped up in my Mylar blanket and waited at the finish line for Brad. The sun felt great, but I'm such a disgusting sweater that I cool down really fast.
He did it! We both enjoyed the new course, and while organizers vowed to return to the original course for next year's 40th anniversary, we thought the redesigned might be better. Also, we thought the whole event just ran better this year. Nice job, guys!
This year's 15K medal was super cute:
My Shamrock collection:
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment