Thursday, August 3, 2017

Grandpa 1920-2017

I kinda thought Grandpa would live forever - or at least to 100! He was a stubborn old guy who just kept going!

This was his 97th birthday party in May:
I caught him a bit off guard... he really was having a nice time :)

Grandpa was healthy and strong (for a 97-year-old) and doing well. Dad took him out to dinner in the middle of June - but shortly after that, something changed, and he began declining rapidly. 

Brad and I stopped by his Friendsview apartment on Sunday, July 2 (I think that's the right day), but he was sleeping. Not wanting to disturb, we just left cookies and flowers. I could tell that something was different.

In the coming days, Dad reported that Grandpa had become much less responsive and was mostly sleeping. For several reasons, Eryn and I canceled our planned road trip, and we were home to sit with Grandpa and also hang out with Dad and his brother and sister during this waiting time.

Grandpa hung on for a week after Uncle Jon and Aunt Cynthia arrived but finally let go on July 14.

I dug through my blog archive and found all these photos - mostly revolving around food :)








Sister-in-law, Shirley:









Grandpa and his boys:


In Grandma's final days:


All the McKee kids:
Reliving his PanAm days:
Old Guys Rule!
Nieces:
Cousins:








Christmas Eve:
Thanksgiving:



John George McKee
May 7, 1920 ~ July 14, 2017

2 comments:

  1. Lots of good family memories in these pix. I join you in recognizing and valuing grandparent influences. I am so glad l got to know my grandparents-on both sides-into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz: I just saw this. You have such a strong family! Prayers and Blessings to you all. Anything you need, let me know. Love!

    ReplyDelete