Monday, May 24, 2010

Cowboy cookies

Brad speaks fondly of cowboy cookies, but I've yet to find a recipe that lives up to his childhood memories. Perhaps I should just ask his mother... duh! I recently tried a version from eat me, delicious. Unfortunately, I forgot to snap a picture, so I'll paste in hers - which looks nothing like mine.
2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2/3 c canola oil
2/3 c sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/2 cup nondairy milk (I used real cow milk)
1 T ground flax seeds
1 t vanilla
1 c shredded sweetened coconut
1 c semisweet chocolate chips
1 c chopped toasted pecan pieces (I didn't take time to toast)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, beat together oil, sugar, brown sugar, milk, flax seeds and vanilla. Fold in half of the flour mixture to moisten, then fold in the remaining half. Just before the mixture is completely combined, fold in the coconut, chocolate chips and pecans.

4. She made large cookies, about 1/4 c of dough each, flattening slightly and baking for 14-16 minutes. I used a small scoop and baked a lot less (though I honestly can't remember how long). Cool on a wire rack.

~~~~~~~~
The recipe is vegan, something I didn't even realize until I was halfway through baking them :) And because it's egg-free, I was able to eat the dough guilt-free - yipee!

We all thought the dough was very good. But the cookies weren't nearly as good. They weren't bad, but kinda dry and bland. They also stayed as little lumps, not spreading all beautifully like I'd hoped. So I only baked two sheets of cookies and took them and the dough to share with my Thursday night posse. I'd probably skip this recipe in the future.

Donna... are you out there? So what fabulous recipe did you use when Brad was a little tyke????

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment