Saturday, May 1, 2010

Blueberry crumb bars

I frequently look at food blogs and drool. Then I find excuses to make the recipes so I can eat them - and hopefully share some love with my friends, family, coworkers, students, etc. This was one of those recipes. Conveniently, I needed something to take to Thursday dinner, so I had to bake these Blueberry Crumb Bars from Smitten Kitchen. Oh, darn!

1 c sugar
1 t baking powder
3 c flour
1 c cold butter
1 egg
1/4 t salt
Zest and juice from one lemon
4 c fresh blueberries (I used frozen and it worked well)
1/2 c sugar
4 t cornstarch (I really upped the cornstarch (3 T) because I was scared that the frozen berries would be juicy)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 c sugar, 3 c flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.

3. In another bowl, stir together the remaining sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer. (Mine wasn't so much crumbly as powdery - but it turned out just fine anyway)

4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. (I was in a hurry to get out the door and pulled mine after about 38 minutes. No one knew the difference, though they could have been a bit darker.) Cool completely before cutting into squares... unless you're with impatient friends who don't care if they crumble - then just cut them and eat!

5. Store covered in the refrigerator.

~~~~~~~~~~~

These bars were very simple to throw together. It took a long time to cut in a cup of cold butter, but that was the only time-consuming piece. I would make these again - and perhaps try other fruits.

:)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Liz,
    I hate cutting in butter too, so now I grate it on a big-hole grater and toss it with the flour. It just about cuts in itself that way and since I don't have to dirty a pastry cutter, I justify the dirty grater. Though more than once a confused guest has thought I was making a strange, cheesy pie crust until I explained. Consider yourself warned.

    ReplyDelete