Thursday, May 13, 2010

(Belated) Muffin Wednesday: Sour Cream Bran

A strange school schedule again preempted Muffin Wednesday, so I baked Thursday instead. And I deviated from the book, choosing a Smitten Kitchen recipe that looked yummy.

1/2 c softened butter or 1/2 c vegetable oil (I used butter)
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 egg, beaten lightly
1 c sour cream or yogurt (I used sour cream)
1/4 c dark molasses
1/2 c raisins, cranberries or other diced dried fruit (I forgot to add this... oops!)
1 c flour
1 t baking soda (I accidentally used baking powder... oops!)
1/4 t salt
1 c miller’s bran (Winco bulk)
1/4 t cinnamon, optional (I skipped this because I don't like cinnamon in my bread/muffins)

1. Cream together the butter or oil and the brown sugar, beat in the egg, the sour cream or yogurt, and the molasses. Stir in the raisins or other dried fruit.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and bran. Add the dry mixture to the sour cream mixture, stirring until just combined.

3. Spoon the batter into 12 well-buttered muffin cups and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and springy to the touch. Cool on a rack.

~~~~~~~~~
These were very quick and easy to make (though I really should have read the directions more carefully. Have I said that before?!?!) I found the miller's bran (unprocessed wheat bran) in Winco's bulk section - woohoo!

I don't like the taste of molasses, so I didn't enjoy this batter at all. And now I don't want to even try one. But Lindsey ate one and thought it was moist and great - a definite keeper. Andy also liked his sample. So if you like molasses, go for it. If not, skip this one.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment