Monday, January 3, 2011

King's Mountain (1/1/11)

Brad's climbing buddy, James, wanted to celebrate the gorgeous weather with a New Year's Day hike. I encouraged Brad to join the fun while I stayed home and rested. After all, I'd already run a 5K on New Year's Day. But my enthusiastic hubby insisted that I go along, too.

We met James and Doug (another climber friend) at 10 a.m. at the Tanasbourne Target and carpooled to the King's Mountain trail head on Highway 6 in the Coast Range.

We took it nice and easy, climbing steadily up the 2,780 feet/2.7 miles. The trail was snow covered (and a little ice) most of the way, with deep snow at the summit. But it was dry, so not too slippery.
The weather was near perfect: clear and almost no wind, even at the top. It was near freezing, and the sun was warm. The summit provided a magnificent view of the Coast Range while we ate our lunch.
We made it up and down in a couple hours, going at a leisurely pace. I'm so glad Brad talked me into getting off my butt and spending the day on the trail :)

No comments:

Post a Comment