Friday, January 28, 2011

Lentil walnut loaf

No-TV Tuesday produced two dinners again this week! (YAY for dirtying the kitchen once for two meals!!)

I read on Eat, Live, Run a yummy-looking recipe for Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf - a veggie version of meatloaf. The creation won an award, so I figured it was worth a shot.
Basic ingredients and simple instructions. The smell was amazing, and I could hardly wait until Thursday to dig in! We pulled it from the fridge and nuked it a short time. YUM!
The texture was a little off. Lindsey described it as "smooth" - I think that's exactly right. It was a bit pasty. When I make it again, I'll simmer the lentils a little less to hopefully maintain their shape and mix it a little less to keep the ingredients from mushing together as much.

But the flavor was excellent. I will definitely make this again!

Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf

1 c lentils (I used red lentils because that's what I had in the fridge)
3 c vegetable stock or broth (I used chicken bouillon because I didn't feel like defrosting my homemade veggie stock from the freezer)
1 large onion
1 large carrot
1 stalk celery
2 T olive oil
2 t minced garlic
1 c breadcrumbs
3/4 c chopped walnuts
3 T ground flax mixed with 1/2 c water
1 t oregano
1 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
2 T ketchup
1 T pure maple syrup
1 T balsamic vinegar

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the ground flax and 1/2 cup water. Set aside.

Simmer together the lentils, broth and a pinch of salt for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender and have absorbed all the broth. (I went beyond tender to mushy. Don't do that.)

Chop the onion, grate the carrot and dice the celery. Saute the onion and celery in the olive oil over medium high heat for about six minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and carrot and cook for about another 4 minutes.

Toast the walnuts in the oven for 6-7 minutes. Add them to the veggie on the stove and stir well. Add the oregano, salt and pepper and then take the mixture off the stove and transfer to a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, flax/water and cooked lentils and toss well. Press mixture into a greased loaf pan and set aside while you make the topping.

In another small bowl combine the ketchup, maple syrup and vinegar. Spread on top of loaf. Bake for 40 minutes.

:)

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing, we'll be enjoying this for dinner in the near future. PS I love your blog and all of the photos. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Walnut Lovers! I hope you enjoy the loaf! And have a wonderful weekend, too :)

    ReplyDelete