Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Muffin Wednesday: Oatmeal Cranberry

In honor of Easter, I was going to bake Cadbury Creme Egg Muffins today. But when I went to WinCo last night to shop, they did not carry the mini creme eggs :(

So I poked around the Internet for an easy recipe without any strange ingredients, since I was already home from the store. I decided on Oatmeal Muffins from Hillbilly Housewife. She suggested adding raisins or chopped apple. I went with dried cranberries.

1 c oats
1 c sour milk, buttermilk or yogurt (I used sour milk)
1 egg
1/2 c brown or white sugar
1/3 c oil
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder
1/2 dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the oats and milk. Let stand for a few minutes so the oatmeal can absorb some of the liquid. Add the egg, sugar and oil, beating well with a whisk.

Add the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Combine but do not over mix. Fold in the cranberries or other add-ins.

Spoon the batter into greased muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes. (mine were done after 15)

~~~~~~~~~~~
I doubled this recipe and made 30 yummy muffins. I liked this a lot - quick and easy, simple ingredients.

But I accidentally add too much sugar. Since I was doubling, I decided to use half brown sugar and half granulated (since it called for either). I dumped in the half-cup of white and promptly added another TWO half cups of brown. OOPS! But I suppose 33% more sugar can't be too horrible - and it wasn't ;)

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment