Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sidelined by stabbing pain

A short bout with stomach flu last weekend left me sleepless and without appetite... not good for running. Plus, my running buddy also got the crud and had to miss our workouts :( After taking off a couple days, I slowly got back on the horse with some stationary bicycling and stadiums.

But Run Like Hell is this weekend, so I'd better be running again! Brad and I went to Cook Park at dusk Sunday for some trail running. We made a big loop from the water-treatment plant, through the butterfly garden, under the trestle, across the river, through the woods and around Tualatin Community Park.

The weather was perfect and I was doing great - felt good and was going much faster than normal - doing just over 9-minute miles. But at about 2.15 miles, a got a stabbing pain in the right side of my diaphragm and was stopped in my tracks. I tried to walk it off and breathe through it, but several attempts at running again failed. Eventually, I forced myself to run slowly. Soon, I was focused on the finish line and picking up my speed.

Without planning, our loop was 3.12 miles... a near-perfect 5K! Even after walking a portion, I clocked it in 30:03. I was disappointed that I was temporarily sidelined by a cramp, but I was really happy with my time.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment