Monday, October 3, 2011

Vegetarian Chinese food

Brad's always craving Chinese food, but because there aren't many good vegetarian or pescaterian options, we rarely go. This weekend, he discovered an entire vegetarian Chinese restaurant in our area.

Green Wok is on Capitol Highway in a little business strip just down from the PCC Sylvania campus.
The menu was huge, with all kinds of fake meat and tofu options.
I really wanted some combo plates so we could try different dishes, but none were offered. Instead, we decided to share the orange "chicken" and sweet and sour "pork".
We started with spring rolls. They were good - tasted like any other spring rolls.
The entrees were both little chunks of "meat" (dipped in batter and deep fried) in their respective sauces - orange and sweet and sour. We could tell no difference between the "chicken" and "pork" offerings.
The sauces were good, though I think they are probably just pre-made products. They didn't really taste homemade. (I'm just guessing here - I didn't ask)

The "meat" was good enough - not very flavorful. But we both felt like they tasted a bit burned. The breading itself wasn't burned, so I'm suspecting that the fry oil had burned pieces in it. Time to get out the skimmer!

The prices were reasonable and the food was good. I can't say that I loved it, but if we needed some Chinese food, I would go again. (I don't normally LOVE Chinese food anyway)

Next time, I think I'd give the tofu dishes a try.

They did have a list of local veggie/vegan restaurants, so maybe we'll go exploring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment