Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mourning run - 14 miles!

This weekend's long run was a real mixed bag.

I was supposed to do 14 miles - my very first attempt to pass the half-marathon distance. We decided to run Saturday on a Washington trail and then have lunch with Brad's folks. I was nervous but psyched for it.

But with all the cat drama Friday night and Saturday, I was a complete wreck and in no shape to run at all.

Because I have just a few weeks until my marathon, I knew I couldn't skip my run. And I knew Linus would want me to get out and get it done. He was always very supportive of my workouts :)

So we planned to go out Sunday after church and hit the Fanno Creek trail in Tigard and Beaverton. It's 6 miles from our house to the turnaround at Denney Road. I figured I would do that and then add a couple miles at the end for a grand total of 14.

No problem. Yeah, right!

I started out fine, but that feeling lasted only until about mile 5. Then I totally tanked.

I have to say that was the hardest run I've done in a really long time. I walked way more than I planned to and struggled just to keep going and finish. It was slow and painful.

But, I finished! My longest run ever - and new PDR! (personal distance record)
Woohoo!!!!!!!!! 

I give myself a full pass on this one. My sleep has been wonky since starting this new tummy med. I was completely dehydrated from crying all day Saturday, and I was mentally and physically exhausted. I hardly ate anything Saturday, and I was definitely depleted. Plus, I raced a killer half marathon just two weeks before, and I could still feel it in my legs.

Because of all those outside factors, I am actually really proud of myself.

14.0 miles in 2:30:19 - a 10:44 average:
Man, I was shot afterward! I went straight for the cold tub - and it felt amazing.
Brrrr.....
My legs recovered quickly, and my blisters healed over. I think that ice bath really helped.

It was hard to celebrate - we weren't really in the mood. But we did meet Brad's parents at Native Foods Cafe for some yummy dinner. And lots and lots and lots of water! I was really dehydrated.

Here's hoping this week's run is much better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment