Friday, February 8, 2013

Run for Sherry

Today's run is dedicated to Sherry, who was abducted and murdered last year while out on her morning run in her small Montana town.


The 43-year-old mother, wife and teacher never returned from her workout. Two men were eventually arrested in her death, and her body was finally found.

The story hit the running community hard and really highlighted the importance of safety - especially for women. Her family organized a run in her honor and encouraged people around the world to join in and dedicate their weekend workout to Sherry's memory. (my run last year) On the one-year anniversary, they are doing it again - and so am I.

So when my alarm went off just before 5 a.m. and I wanted to stay in my toasty-warm bed, I got up. Because today's short workout was for Sherry.
I didn't go very long or fast - I have a race tomorrow. But for 25 minutes, I ran and thought of Sherry and all the runners out there who deserve a safe world.
Be safe. Run on. Never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment