Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Nos. 19 and 20

I finally carved out some time to devote to reading... and then cruised through these two books from the THS library St. Patrick's Day display.

No. 19: Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd is the story of an 18-year-old Irish man dealing with Irish/UK political issues in the 1980s.
It was challenging to read because it's actually Irish and was full of words and phrases unfamiliar to me. Thank goodness for context clues!

No. 20: Creature of the Night by Kate Thompson was a very quick read. I started it last night and would have finished it if I hadn't kept falling asleep.

I finished it today on my lunch break.
This follows a troubled 14-year-old Irish boy whose mother just moved the family from Dublin to a rural community. The language was less "Irish" but I still relied on context to understand it all.

Both books were "coming of age" stories but also with good mysteries to keep things moving.

I enjoyed both stories and the glimpse into another culture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment