Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Nos. 13 and 14

I just spent 4.5 glorious snow days stuck inside the house. And this is how I spent most of my time:

No. 13, John Grisham's Sycamore Row.
I recently grabbed it off the new-release shelf at the Tigard Library. I've read (and enjoyed!) all but the most recent Grishams, and this was no exception. He's a good storyteller. This one's about a will challenge in the South in the 1980s. A white man dies and unexpectedly gives his fortune to his black housekeeper - not his family.

I'm always astonished by the race issues. I cannot fathom thinking that someone is worth less than me because of skin color. It saddens me to realize that this sort of thinking was prevalent in the not-so-distant past - and that so many people still think this way. 

As soon as I finished Grisham, I dug into No. 14 - John Sandford's Certain Prey.
I was recently introduced to Sandford, and fortunately, I'd already picked up another one from the THS library before the big storm hit. I was prepared!

The first one I read focused on the investigator, while this one focused much more on the killer. It was a good read, and I'm going to grab the third one from THS. Then I'm going to see if the city library has more of Sandford's books :)

How many books did you read this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment