Saturday, June 30, 2012

Track Thursday: sisters!

Track Thursday is back!!

With our Rock 'n' Roll Half behind us and our Giant Race half coming in a couple months, it's time to get back to the track to pick up some speed!

Eryn, who can run forever but not very quickly, is jumping on the Track-Thursday bandwagon in hopes of getting a bit faster.
Because the THS track is under construction all summer, we headed last week to Twality for some laps.

I decided to do three 1,600s (four laps) with a 400-meter (one lap) walk recovery in between. I was aiming for a 8:19 average.
Eryn wasn't sure about her 5K PR (we were aiming for 10 seconds under our personal records), so she decided to run a 10:30 average.
We both did the first 2 miles "easily" and then struggled a bit on the last one. I ended up running quite a bit faster than I planned and then had to do a short walk in the middle of my final mile. Eryn did a walk between each lap during her last mile.

It was warm and muggy but not too bad out. The biggest annoyance was all the people riding bikes, strolling, walking dogs and skateboarding on the track around us. Keep the inside lanes clear for runners, please :)
Here's how my workout looked:

I rode my bike about 1 mile to the school and then did a warm-up lap.

Mile 1 average (each lap):
8:05
8:10
7:58
7:59

400-meter recovery

Mile 2:
7:49
7:54
7:58
7:56

400-meter recovery

Mile 3:
7:59
8:06
300-meter recovery
7:58
7:51

I cooled down a bit and then ran the end with Eryn. Total: 4.54 miles

Felt great :)

This week, life got in the way and Track Thursday got pushed back to Friday. Eryn did her's Thursday, but I had to go alone in the morning.
All was quiet as I did my laps. Just one other woman was there when I showed up, but she soon left me.

I decided to do four 800s this week. Here's how my workout looked:

warmup

7:56
7:52

200-meter recovery

7:43
7:44

200-meter recovery

7:38
7:45

200-meter recovery

8:09
8:01

The crazy humidity combined with my still-asleep body (I don't do morning workouts!) made a really hard workout. I felt a little puky, so I allowed myself to slow down on that fourth interval. I'm glad I slowed instead of quitting!
Total: 3.13 miles in 30:32 minutes.

I'm glad Eryn's joining me in this speedy journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment