Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Muffin Wednesday: Honey Bran

Since Israel didn't like last week's offering, I let him choose this week's experimental recipe. He picked Honey Bran Muffins from the book.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease your muffin tin.

1/2 c natural bran
1/2 c toasted wheat germ
1/2 c raisins
1 c whole wheat flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
pinch ground allspice
1 egg
3 T molasses
1/4 c honey
1/3 c oil
1 1/4 c milk

1. In a large bowl, combine bran, wheat germ, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and raisins. Set aside.

2. In another bowl, whisk together egg, molasses, honey, oil and milk. Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moist (batter will be runny).

3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling three-quarters full. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I doubled the recipe and made 30 muffins. The recipe required some special ingredients from the WinCo bulk section, but nothing too exotic.

These were much more flavorful than the Honey Bran recipe we tried two weeks ago. And I think they received all thumbs up except for Angela who was repulsed by the raisins. Israel was pleased and had several :)
As I mentioned earlier this week, I do not like molasses. At all. But I did try these just for the sake of experimentation. Actually, they weren't bad. The molasses was very subtle. I don't think I need a second one, but the first one didn't make me gag ;)

Give these a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment