Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Muffin Wednesday: Monkey Bread

Holy crap.

OK - these aren't really muffins. But they baked in a muffin tin, so I'm counting it.

I've always been obsessed with the idea of monkey bread - but I've never tried making it myself. Then I saw two recipes (Picky Palate and Do You Know the Muffin Pan) for mini monkey breads - YES! That looks like Wednesday's experiment.
I modified both recipes and came up with this:

2 cans small refrigerator biscuits (NOT the "grand" sized ones)
8 T sugar
3 T cinnamon
1 stick butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c powdered sugar
3 T heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12-cup muffin pan.

2. In a medium bowl combine granulated sugar and cinnamon.

3. Remove biscuits from rolls and separate. Using clean scissors, cut each biscuit in half and then in thirds. (each biscuit makes 6 pieces) Toss with cinnamon sugar to coat each piece.

4. Divide biscuit pieces into the 12 muffin cups and set aside.

5. Melt butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour evenly over each muffin cup.

6. Bake for 18-20 minute or until bread is cooked through. Remove from oven and let sit in pan for 5 minutes.

7. Place powdered sugar in a small bowl and slowly whisk in heavy cream until smooth and desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over each little cup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I tripled this recipe and made 30 "muffins". I took them straight from the slightly cooled muffin tin and plated them up. Some fell apart a bit, but the taste is the same (amazing!!). A couple stayed in the tin longer and stuck badly. So get them when they are still warm.

The students really liked them... and I LOVED them. These are a one-per-person kinda treat - very rich!

YUMMO! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment