Thursday, November 3, 2011

Track Thursday: zoom, zoom

Today's track workout was a repeat of last week - with a couple little changes.

The basic plan is from No Meat Athlete's "3 Track Workouts Guaranteed to Kick Your A$$":

3 x 1 mile with 400 m rest intervals
Pace: Determine 5K mile-pace and subtract 10 seconds.

Last time I planned to run an 8:51 average. I ended up running a little faster, so this time I planned for an 8:45 average - with just a half-lap recovery in between each mile (instead of a full lap like last time)
A storm was brewing as I stepped out of my warm classroom and walked toward the track.
I had the whole track to myself again (until school let out and the soccer teams headed over)
I did a slow warm-up lap and then did my first mile at an 8:41 average. I'd been dragging all day, and my legs felt a bit heavy. It was more difficult than I anticipated.

I walked a half lap and did my second mile at an 8:37 average. This one seemed a bit easier - probably because I was warm and kept telling myself that I only had one more to go.

I walked another half lap and then did my final mile at an 8:33 average. That was tougher.
I walked a bit and then ran another lap - finishing 3.83 miles in 36:35 - a 9:33 average overall.
I'm very pleased with my workout. I was tired. It was cold. It started raining. I thought more than once about quitting early.

I'm glad I stuck with it and met my goal - and with negative splits! My legs are pretty beat now. I can tell I worked them... and it feels great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment