Saturday, August 30, 2014

Back to my running roots

When I first started running, I used The Beginning Runner's Handbook, recommended by Aunt Kari:
The philosophy is that muscles get stronger faster than the body's skeletal, tendon and ligament system. If you simply start running, you can push harder than you should, leading to injury. With a run/walk approach, the body parts get strong together, keeping you more healthy.

In the past months, I've run few miles because of a nagging Achilles injury from February. I did the Canby Dahlia Run 10K last weekend and really didn't have much trouble with my tendon. It hurt a bit during but hasn't been worse since. So I decided to go back to my roots and start from the very beginning.

So Tuesday, I got up early and did Day 1 of the training program: Run 1 minute, Walk 2 minutes - 12 times.
Boy, did it feel amazing to be out there! And I didn't experience any pain.
Saturday was Day 2 - Run 1, Walk 2 - 9 times. I did it on the treadmill while watching Say Yes to the Dress on our new TV setup. It was very nice!
Unfortunately, my foot was already a little tender, and it hurt pretty much the whole time :(  I hoped it would warm up and feel better, but that never happened..
Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

I'm still hoping that if I ease back into running, maybe I can get my tendon happy again. We'll see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment