Thursday, March 31, 2011

Muffin Wednesday: Bran Cereal

I didn't get to the store in time, so Muffin Wednesday was postponed one day this week. No one mentioned yesterday the lack of muffins, but this morning I heard, "Liz, why didn't you bake yesterday?" - there was definite sadness in Skyler's voice. Pleading eyes were all around me.

Triumphantly, I told them the oven was preheating and I was leaning on my open cookbook as we spoke! I think there were actual cheers :) It feels good to be loved ... at least my muffins are loved ;)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line your muffin tin.

1 1/4 c flour
3 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c sugar
2 1/2 c bran flakes (I crunched my flakes into small pieces)
1 1/4 c milk
1 egg
1/3 c vegetable oil

1. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Set aside.

2. In another bowl, combine cereal and milk. Stir well and let stand for 2 minutes or until softened. Add the egg and oil and beat well.

3. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir just until moistened.

4. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love bran muffins, so I was excited to give this recipe a try. Ashley and I doubled it and made 24 full-sized muffins. (I'm thinking I should get another large muffin tin so I can make more smaller muffins so more people get to sample!)

This one was very straightforward and came together quickly. And the only thing I had to buy special was the cereal from the bulk section. I love that.

They turned out really yummy! One pan was a tiny bit too dark on the bottoms. I should have checked them a little early but forgot. Student and staff tasters all enjoyed the treat. I would make these again.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment